Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|This article is need of image(s). Remove this template when the necessary images have been added. If you are unsure of whether or not adding images are necessary, please discuss it on the talk page.|
Osmium is a chemical element with the atomic symbol Os. It is a silvery metal with the slightest color of blue. It has the highest density of all 118 elements. It's a precious metal and therefore is limited in applications due to its price.
- Density: ~22.59 g/cc
- Atomic Number: 76
- Group: Transition Metals (D Block)
- Discovery: 1803 by Smithson Tennant
- Melting Point: ~3038 C, 5491.4 F, 3306.15 K
- Boiling Point: ~5018 C, 9046.4 F, 5281.15 K
- Electron Configuration: [Xe] 4f14 5d6 6s2
- Valence Electrons: 2 major (s orbital), 6 minor (d orbital)
Osmium's high density makes it fit for many applications. However, because of its high price, it's used where little osmium is needed- sometimes in alloy called osmiridium.[needcitation]
- The Periodic Table of Elements by Theodore Gray